Thursday 31 May 2012

Review - The Company Shed

Any restaurant with the word “shed” in it’s name perhaps needs to offer something extra as the reference to shed for me generally reminds me of my 6 x 4 rickety one, full of cobwebs and broken garden equipment and somewhere I only venture a few times a year when the powers to be demand a neatly trimmed lawn. Well, no need to worry as this shed and it is just that, has much more to offer.

I have been here a few times and am never disappointed. In fact, I would say the whole experience feels even better this time, although I have a nagging feeling that someone behind the scenes is concentrating more on the figures. Set in a somewhat forgotten seaside town of Mersea, Essex, it feels like I am on holiday in the seventies as we stroll along the promenade past the yacht club and passing two very nice pubs. The pier is full of Scouts fishing for crabs and having a lovely time. In fact, the Company Shed was opened over twenty years and has evolved into a real gem. On the day I visit, there are families, tourists, groups of friends and couples. Naturally seafood is the order of the day and we as most diners are, order their seafood platter at a reasonable £11.99 per person. But first, we try some lovely fresh looking jellied eels. They are just right and ideal to get us in the mood. The portion size is a bit tiny, with just five pieces in our tub. We then move on to two freshly cooked lobsters. These really are beautiful and cooked to perfection and I may even venture to saying the best I have ever had. Our platter for four arrives and is laden with fresh crab, prawns (shelled and shell on), green lip mussels and some smoked salmon and Mackerel. Whilst the crab is excellent, we are a bit disappointed by the prawns, especially the peeled with their limp appearance and texture and perhaps previously frozen and we feel they have been added to bulk out the dish. In fact, why would we want both peeled and unpeeled prawns when the counter is awash with such gleaming fresh fish. You can order extras and separate dishes, but when we attempt this, sadly they have sold out of the scallops we ask for.

However, it’s a lovely experience and a surprising cosy place. We are told to bring our own bread and drink and see other diners laden with dressings, mayonnaise, pepper mills and all the little extra things we have at home for our seafood dinners. They even have a large shelve full of glasses for you to use and this only enhances the “at home” experience and is surprising appealing.

If you do intend to visit allow plenty of time as there  is a no booking policy and we had to wait two hours for a table, so an ideal opportunity to try the nice pubs here and we are nearly tempted by their very appealing food menus. Overall Mersea is growing into somewhat of a foodie place so good news for all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad to have stumbled upon your blog and this review in particular. I live only 40 minutes away from Mersea and many friends have told me about 'the shed'. I have been to Mersea so many times, but have yet to try this place out. I like the novel idea and bringing your own wine etc.. fab!

    I can't wait to visit, but perhaps i'll wait until the summer.

    Great blog by the way. Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete