Friday 20 January 2012

Review - Nizuni London

“Shinsen” means new and fresh in Japanese and sadly the tuna sat in front of me as part of my set sushi meal at Nizuni was not exactly that.  This smallish restaurant sat in the middle of Charlotte Street London is almost a sprat amongst the other big names in the same road,  Roka, Pied a Terre to name but a few. Accordingly, it needs to really be something special to draw the trendy crowds that frequent this street. I could not manage to get beyond the home page on their web site, so have entered somewhat blind to the vision and menu.

However, I was immediately won over by the service, attentive, smiley and just what you need on a drizzly rainy January day. I see that most diners here are office workers out for that Friday special lunch that we all look forward to at the end of the week and following four days of ham and cheese sandwiches. It seems the bento boxes are very popular here. Perhaps too popular. For really good quality Sushi, it helps to have a high turnover of orders.

The small green salad I am given is fresh and nicely dressed and my miso soup, although just warm, is comforting enough. With so many Japanese restaurants popping up and offering good fresh food, you do need to stay on top of your game and I felt a little let down here. In terms of prices, they pretty much match the other set meal costs I generally pay, but things need to freshen up and dare I say, portions large up before I head over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment