Thursday 9 August 2012

Review Yazu Sushi

Just when you think you have discovered all the good foodie places around London, something pops up and grabs your attention. I have our dear Boris Johnson to thank as I was recently peddling along on my Boris bike admiring the shops along Oxford Street when I decided to take a left into Mayfair and a short while later discovered a little gem of a place which comprises just a few discreet streets and alleys where you can get a decent pint and also find some very interesting and varied food from a number of establishments

Apparently it’s a bit of a secret. Well the secret’s out and it’s called Shepard Market off Curzon Street. You won’t find any shepherds with their flocks or Collie dogs, but the history page from this little area’s  own web site says  it used to be a site of a regular and somewhat lively fair during the seventeenth century and later, was redeveloped with the addition of a theatre in 1880 to encourage, let’s say a more refined class of citizen. This is Mayfair after all and you can only imagine what kind of fairground rides they were!  In fact, and rather ironically it later led to the famous writer and Politian Jeffrey Archer to once meet a lady with some special skills here which unfortunately, turned out to be a rather life changing and expensive encounter.

Now it is the home to a handful of good pubs and restaurants and one very tiny Japanese’s restaurant called Yazu Sushi. When I say tiny, I mean small. I could probably carpet the entire place with my fluffy bath mat and still have enought left for some nice ear muffs. Small in such a way that you can almost feel the whoosh of chef Gana San’s Sushi knife as you clamber onto to one of the few and rather uncomfortable stools that surround the little conveyor belt. It’s a classy joint in an unassuming way, but this is the “heart of Mayfair” as the locals call it and no doubt, demand no less.

On the day I visit, it’s just me and a few other lunch time workers. Service was very good and friendly and I am sure this is consistent even when they have ten customers!. I was warmly welcomed not only by the polite waitress but also the chef who suggested I try the fresh sea bass prepared with a hint of smokiness from his still smoking blow torch.  What a delicate and wonderful dish and I am impressed by how much the simple element of smoke adds to sea bass. Prices are very “Mayfairly”, so don’t take the local rugby team, not that they would actually fit in but if you are looking for some really fresh and inventive sushi, this may well hit the spot. The dishes on the belt tend to be very fresh salmon nigiri and some excellent maki rolls, but portions are quite small. The chef seems very able and I am sure will be happy to rustle up any of your favourites and maybe even show you his flaming blow torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment