Tuesday 29 November 2011

Review - Sakana - Tei ( Handbags and Glad rags)

I’m sitting at the small Japanese sushi counter at Sakana –Tei in Maddox Street, London just a lap top throw away from the big Apple store filled with all its techs and whiz kids. I’m smiling and I have not even had a drink or anything to eat. Why you may enquire? Well she who must be obeyed and her trainee have slipped off for some  “Girly shopping” .  This will no doubt involve trying on ridiculously high heeled shoes and cooing like over fed pigeons at handbags with price tags  equal to the cost of our next family holiday. Personally, I remember the day when ladies handbags contained nothing more than a handkerchief and some pot poiree. Now they are all shiny with big buckles, filled with small dogs, computer equipment and the size of Fiat pandas.

Never mind, this gives me the perfect opportunity to try without doubt one of my favourite cuisines and, how can I put it, go to town a bit myself! If a girl needs to shop, a man needs to eat Japanese food and regularly.

Whilst the master of our house does love Japanese food, she is not quite the fan that I am, so I settle comfortably at the small wooden counter and watch the very experienced sushi chef work his magic on some amazing looking fresh fish. This is not my first time here as I often pop in for the set sushi lunch. From the outside, you could be mistaken for thinking this is an old hard ware store selling bits and pieces, but i like it that way because it keeps the wafer thin models away and is usually filled with real Japanese food fans and some “in the Know” Japanese. It hardly smacks luxury and you will probably be best not arranging the office party here, but as soon as you enter, the noise and bustle outside disappears and you are suddenly transported to a calm and peaceful haven. However, your first encounter will be to come face to face with the rather Solomon looking owner. Just nod and offer “Konnichiwa” with a bow and you should be okay.  This is a family run operation and the friendless  soon spreads and it soon feels like a big family gathering.  There are various set lunch options to choose from as well as an extensive a la carte menu, but  I opt for the set Sushi lunch. You can seat at the small counter type bar upstairs or there is a separate dining area downstairs which is ideal for informal client lunches and small groups.

I’m offered green tea, followed by a nice pickled salad to start. I then receive  a wonderful aromatic Miso soup. My main of a sushi platter as ever is presented beautifully and smells sea breeze fresh. This must be heaven surely, but wait the street door creaks open and two leather Pandas nudge their way through followed followed by giggles of some rather tipsy sounding high heeled girls. As the owner lets out a gasp, I can do no more than raise my chopsticks in some kind of apologetic gesture, but he is already reaching for the  Sake, but I’m not sure if it’s for him or me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment