Sunday 29 January 2012

Review of Moshi Moshi Liverpool St

How times Have Changed.
This is a quote from the website of this Japanese  restaurant and although extracted from a review made by the Evening Standard , 16 years ago, it is my thought exactly as I sit at the sushi counter on a Friday evening.
I speak with some experience as I have visited this Liverpool Street venue many times on my way home over the last few years. It overlooks platforms 1 and 2, so for the commuter could not be better.
Sadly I find the service and sometimes the quality of food is rather lacking. I encountered similar problems on a previous visit but could not bring myself to write about it, like some love sick school boy who cannot accept that the girl of his dreams does not love him anymore.
I’m with some friends this evening and although it’s a Friday  this restaurant is still quite. I count around 14 customers and 7 staff so by my calculations service should be good? We are shown to the seats on the far side and free to pick from the dishes on the conveyor belt. Except this conveyor belt resembles that at Asda’s on a Sunday evening, empty! Okay, there’s a handful of rather sad looking dishes, the ones that nobody ever wants to pick and a few salmon plates. The waitress  brings us some menus, These have seen better days and I order four spicy tuna hand rolls in an attempt to bulk out my hungry guests whilst we examine the menus.  A short while later the waitress appears. “I am sorry but we do not have much tuna so you cannot have your hand rolls”? I try not to smile as she says this while behind us the sushi chef is admiring his nice chunk of tuna. Okay, let’s change that order for four Loch Duart salmon and spring onion hand rolls. So away she goes and a short while later the chef hands over four Salmon Maki rolls!
We soon get the bill and when I remind the waitress that although she had given us four menus to look at, she had not actually come back and asked us if we wanted to order anything, she could only apologise. Maybe she had been busy  searching for that tuna?
How times have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment