Monday 6 August 2012

Review - Golden Union, Soho

I must admit, I generally like my fish naked. Well, maybe sometimes with a little pickled ginger skirt, a dab of wasabi on the back and a small soaking of soy sauce to season, but usually nothing more. So when I get invited to this big and lively fish and chip restaurant, I've got a ping of guilt. My haddock is wearing a rather fetching and  beautifully puffy and crispy overcoat of seasoned batter that makes my usual plate of fish seem like a bunch of giggly cat walk rakes!

I am at the Golden Union fish and chip shop in Poland Street, Soho and it's a Friday, so I am ignoring my internal friend the healthy one and have ordered my favourite haddock and chips. Our nice and friendly waitress brings my ice cold beer (it's a licensed chippy!)and takes my order so I Sit back and take in the surroundings. I could easily be sitting in any chip shop in the fifties as the decor is frightenly familiar and rather comforting. Bring your parents or grandparents and with the smell of malt vinegar in the air, they will be feeling waves of nostalgia in no time. The tiled walls and Lino covered tables really set the scene. The fish we had was good and served  with some fresh lemon to squeeze and a sprinkle of parsley. The chips are just as I want them to be with some small crunchy ones. My only niggle is the fish could have done with a short time to rest so any residual oil could completely drain off, but it's very busy and this place is awash with a mix of trendy Soho types and tourists, the latter no doubt curious  to see what this fish and chip thing is all about. I am sure they will not be disappointed and I am nearly inclined to say never again to naked fish, but I miss naturalism!

No comments:

Post a Comment