Monday 12 December 2011

The Big Boss goes wild at Wildwood.

“Wine” gasped my wife . “Sorry, no” replied the waitress.

I glance at my friend, I can see he’s thinking the same as me , It’s a brave person that denies the master of the house wine.  

“Can we have some more Champagne” I interject with a view to trying the diplomat route, albeit a somewhat more expensive one.

“No sorry”

“okay, let’s just move to the coffee”, I suggest.

I’m sorry sir the person who makes the coffee has also left!” We give up.

It’s only just gone 11pm on a cold December Saturday and we are seated at a nice table in Wildwood Billericay .  The company website states:  Wildwood is a small collection of restaurants that serves freshly  prepared food. Our aim is simple: to  serve great food delivered by friendly staff in a relaxed, homely environment.

The festive cheer is all apparent as we peer out of the window, but sadly not quite inside. Perhaps , mid-week in January, I may fancy having an early night, but on a Saturday, just two weeks before Christmas it comes as a nasty surprise to be told at 11 o’clock that drinks or even coffee are no longer being served? My guess is, this particular branch has a few staffing issues, or should I say, pretty much no staff. Our nice waitress try’s her best, but she seems to be the only member of staff on the lower level? I had previously spotted on the window a week earlier, a notice seeking staff at all levels, and that does worry me and personally placing advertisements on windows of restaurants advertising for staff does not send out the right messages to its customers.

We are a group of ten, so try pretty much everything on the menu. Our starters are generally fresh and good, although I slightly mystified by the mozzarella in my Caesar salad and just manage to find one lonely anchovy, but no poached egg? My friends opt for the sharing camembert which is lovely and oozing served with some toasted bread and a nice onion relish. The green olives in our side dish can be counted on one hand, so we ask for some more and the waitress kindly obliges.

A prawn and garlic starter in a tomato sauce is just that and perhaps could do with some fresh herbs added to brighten this up. I am a regular diner at this restaurant so I am somewhat disappointed that my cheeseburger is dry and slightly overcooked with some fries that mainly resemble the small bits you find at the bottom of the bag in the freezer, rather than nice long and crispy ones I generally get.

We were asked to pay a deposit of £50 when making the booking a few weeks ago, so are disappointed that they have forgotten to show it on our final bill and have to send it back for this purpose, but not as disappointed as we all are by having to leave just after 11pm, due to having nothing to drink!

I do hope Wildwood can find its old self again as I like this restaurant and the concept and bearing in mind this is now the fourth restaurant on the site of the old town hall in the last 5 years, it will be a shame to see it disappear, for something less ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment